Wordpress Theme Development Quick Start

Shihab

Wordpress Theme Development Quick Start

Postby Shihab » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:16 am

I tried looking for a quick and dirty getting started with wordpress theme development tutorial. Now I know how to go and discover things myself, I'm looking for "top ten FAQ for programmers" when starting wordpress development. (For example, Turn on debugging and where the debugging option is located), how best to setup your dev environment.

All I can find is elaborate or too low level or too high level guides to it. Coming from a background of creating custom wordpress-like applications makes me frustrated.

So perhaps someone can list of the few things I need. I don't need to know how wordpress works, what a database or widget or page is.

Question I was specifically searching for: 1. How do I make wordpress watch the theme folder for changes from my IDE ( I can't really believe anybody would develop through the wordpress admin theme editor...No Undo history!). Changing the files doesn't seem to take affect until I re-install the theme. Debug mode needs to be true?

Any links condensed version of this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development or similar?

Shahjalal

Re: Wordpress Theme Development Quick Start

Postby Shahjalal » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 am

you need to become familiar with basic wordpress functions like the_permalink, the_title, the_content, etc. these are easy to remember and you can always refer to wordpress.org documentation if you don't want any out of box functionality and you pay more attention to design

if you intend to submit theme to wordpress.org than turn on debugging wile developing and read this before start http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review

Shihab

Re: Wordpress Theme Development Quick Start

Postby Shihab » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 am

Thanks...yes, I was planning on reading the documentation for anything I need wordpress to do (any programmer knows where to find the API), but programmers do need a jump start quick 1,2,3 of things to get on the road. –

Return to “Wordpress development”